Sunday 11 January 2009

Good morrow to one and all!

A big fat happy new year...I know it's late and I haven't been about and I haven't blogged in eons but...hey ho...I've not been too happy to tell the truth.
Why is it that there are always great expectations to the coming of a new year?...it's like everyone in the whole wide world had decided that last year was rubbish but this year will be fabulous....mmmm I beg to differ... I worked the entire yuletide so it all staggered past me. It did give me a chance to reflect on how I wanted to spend this year. Upshot is...now that 2009 has wimpered into being...I will be painting painting painting, looking for gallery space and exhibitions and...more painting.

I spent some time recently visiting old ruined Abbeys and a beautiful Priory in Cartmel. It has truely inspired me to give the "Ascension" painting a new angle. I'm thinking stain glass windows, knackered old walls, painted panels and distressed alters...mmm...hope the punter who's commissioned is thinking the same things. Hey Nathan...you up for "old medieval Greektype othadox ascension"??? I know this sounds dead flippant and I should be treating my patron with the respect he deserves...Nathan and I go back along way and I know he is on the same "visual" wavelength as me.

I began painting "Christ" this week end...despite the appalling light. (I know the freezing weather was a ball ache but it did provide fantastic light for painting.) I am always slightly anxious when creating a "new face" as it is the focal point to the piece and also sets the mood for the final work. The "Christ" that has appeared looks a very perplexed one. He is also extremely dark and jewish/middle eastern looking...as he should be considering his background. It's early days as to how the final painting will look but I am happy with it so far...even if I have practically blinded myself painting in this light. It's part of a triptych...the other two panels will be of the desciples and the two Marys...what their origins will end up being will develop along side the main "Christ" painting. It's all a mystery to me as I go along...I'm just enjoying the ride at the moment...no doubt I shall have the usual "Oh sod this!, it's all rubbish"...but we will just have to weather that storm when it happens....

I'm off to Glasgow next week end...I'm hoping to get to see the manageress at "Offshore". It's a cafe/gallery in the West End of the city. Fingers crossed that I will be considered for an exhibition at some point. I had a friend display his wares there and the space would be fantastic for the Romanesque wall paintings....here's hoping my chums.

Thank you for taking the time,

Ivor x

No comments: